We only have one vehicle here in Thailand so when it is away from the house the next mode of traffic is the bicycle. I (Sharon) have gotten much exercise on my bike in the last month. I ride to my tutoring lessons, to the market to shop, to run errands and whatever else I need. Since we live in the city it is a little easier to do this. But the traffic is crazy. One day I will get a really good picture of the traffic but for now I will show you this one. There is just no way to really describe it. Now this picture is traffic on the Super Highway so it is not as bad as in the city where the roads are more narrow and have many Soi's that are like alleyways many times. Some are not even wide enough for 2 cars to go past each other coming either way. Those are a little scary! In this picture below you see that the motorbikes and bicycles ride on the outside lane as much as possible with cars in the others. But the motorbikes pretty much go wherever they want to and they are also weaving in and out of traffic. That's what you really have to watch for, especially when they are coming the wrong direction. Yes, it happens!
 |
Traffic on the Super Highway
|
 |
Then on some of the back roads, you may encounter something like this! Never a dull moment as I said.
Samantha just got a Thai bicycle and it has a 2nd seat. She is so kind to take us all for rides. We do wear helmets by the way. This is the bicycle I use to shop in the market because it has a basket. I am quite the site when I have all my vegetables and fruits overflowing from the basket and I have bags on both handlebars.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment